What is the 189 Visa ?
The Visa is based on points system for migrants who have in demand skills. The visa is by invitation and allows the applicant permanent work and study anywhere in Australia.
What is the points based system?
This Visa is based on points, so in general, the higher the points you can gain, the better.
You need to gain at least 65 points to be invited for this visa. An expression of interest needs to be lodged in Skill Select, which will give an estimate of your points.
After assessment and if you’re given an invitation, the invitation will communicate the points required to assess the application. When you prepare your application, ensure that you have adequate evidence to support your claims. The government Home Affairs website also has a points calculator which you can use to calculate your points.
What are some of the specific criteria that must meet to apply for the 189 visa?
- Your occupation must be on the skilled occupation list
- Pass the skills assessment
- Be invited to apply
- Qualify with the points test, at least 65 points
- Be aged between 18 – 44 years old
- Have a competent level of English
- Meet the Australian health and character requirement